We love this article by Mary Taylor Weddings.
Have you ever had a spray tan or used self-tanner? I see so many brides asking about tanning before their wedding day. We all want to look our absolute best of on our big day but if you’ve never used artificial tanning before it can be a bit daunting. You should still look like you. And have you ever seen people who turn out looking orange?! Wouldn’t that be a nightmare before your wedding day?!
As many of my readers know, I live in New Zealand but our wedding is in California. With seasons being flipped, we will be leaving our winter to attend our summer wedding in the States. The majority of our guests will be blessed with a glowing tan but I will be a shade of pale.
I actually didn’t fully consider doing a spray tan until I saw a company called Little Honey. They’re crafted here in New Zealand (yay for local products), paraben free, cruelty free, and vegan! I loved that I could do it at home, take it with me to California, and apply as much or as little as I wanted to.
When I first got the box, I was SUPER nervous about trying it because I had no idea how it would turn out. Would it be difficult? Would I end up orange? Would I do it wrong and end up with an uneven tan?!
I had posted a picture on my Instagram story of it and had friends asking for me to video myself trying it out. So, I did! Check out the Instagram story footage below.
Not only was it SUPER easy but it smelled amazing! I was really scared it would hurt my sensitive skin after shaving but it didn’t hurt or sting at all. I am SO impressed! And, it didn’t rub off on anything. It takes only 10 seconds to dry and I was under a white fuzzy blanket after (yes, it’s freezing here).
So here’s some tips I have in general for any spray or self tanning for your wedding day.
- Do it ahead of time to see what you like and don’t like. You don’t want your first time to be the week of your wedding.
- Shower and exfoliate BEFORE you get your tan.
- If you’re doing it at home, have someone help you with your backside (legs, back, shoulders, etc.)
- If applying at home, apply carefully onto your elbows, hands, etc. because of the creases in your skin.
- Wear shorts or loose clothes directly following your tan so it doesn’t rub.
- Wait a minimum of four hours before showering after your tan (this could change depending on the type of tan you use). I personally waited until the next day.
- You CAN tan your face as well (check with whoever you purchase your tanning solution from or where you get your tan done just to be sure).
- Each day after your spray tan, remember to moisturize your skin so the tan lasts longer and your skin feels smoother!